Disclaimer

*Disclaimer: the contents, views & information presented in this website are my own and do not represent the Peace Corps, Peace Corps/Ukraine, the US Government, or the Government of Ukraine.

20 July 2010

"Isn't Ukraine really cold?"

Let's get one thing straight: though Ukraine (Ookrayeena, or Україна) is an Eastern European country, it is not Siberia. It depends on where you are in the country, but even far north the average winter temperature is -8C/18F. Now I know that seems pretty darn chilly to many of you warm-weather folk, but I grew up in Rochester, NY and went to school in northeast Ohio. I can deal with the cold, people. I've gone for runs at 10F -- it's not that bad (quite refreshing and energizing, in fact). As the Norwegian saying goes, "there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." True that! And Ukrainian summers sound really nice: 18-23C/65-75F and sunny.

On a slightly different note: population distribution. There is an 80% chance I will end up in a relatively rural location and thus, by advanced powers of deduction, a 20% chance that I'll end up in a city. Ukraine has five cities with >1,000,000 inhabitants: Kyiv, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Dnipropetrovsk, & Odessa. As you can see from the map on the sidebar, these are mostly in the eastern part of the country. Not sure where I was going with that, but there you go...

More later -- please let me know via comments/email if there's anything specific you'd like me to talk about in future posts!

(Information courtesy of www.tryukraine.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment